East Coast Park should be a familiar location to all Singaporeans. This man-made beach has been a popular recreational destination for locals and visitors alike, ever since its completion in the 1970s. However, beyond the bicycle rental shops and the barbeque pits, how much are we aware of the other landmarks in this 15km long park?
East Coast Park
Posted in Trails
Tagged Found, Losing, Lost
Housing in the central area, including both tua poh and sio poh, had always been a problem in post-war Singapore. The Singapore Improvement Trust (SIT) attempted to tackle the problem by building a handful of new housing estates, such as Outram Hill, Winstedt Court and Stamford Estate (mentioned below). In 1960, the Housing & Development Board (HDB) was established in 1960, taking over the role of tackling housing shortage problems from the SIT. With the establishment of the Urban Renwal Unit in 1964 (renamed URD – Urban Renewal Department in 1966) and the kickstart of the urban renewal program, a number of complexes were constructed to house the people and their businesses. These complexes usually include a large number of housing blocks “weaved” together by a commercial network on the lower floors (examples include Outram Park and Beach Road Garden). With the departure of URD in 1974 (to form a separate entity, URA), the subsequent housing complexes became more inward looking. The commercial podium becomes more substantial in scale, while shrinking in footprint, creating a commercial “hub” that serves the residential towers that sit over it. This is the predominant design model adopted by HDB in sio poh.
Located to the west of Jurong Lake, Taman Jurong is part of the larger Jurong West housing estate. It was developed in 1964 to house the workers and the families of the nearby industrial areas. Taman means “garden” in Malay, suggesting that Taman Jurong was meant to be a housing estate in a garden, as a contrast to the adjacent heavy industries.
Standing along Braddell Road, across Raffles Institution, are three vacated school buildings awaiting demolition. However, unlike most other vacated buildings that are locked behind “No Trespassing” signs, the gates of Westlake Primary School and Braddell-Westlake Secondary School remained open, instead brandishing the signs “Enter at Your Own Risk”.
The gates near Toa Payoh Industrial Estate and Toa Payoh North HDB flats were left open…
Braddell Road is named after the Braddell family, which includes Thomas Braddell (Attorney General of the Straits Settlements from 1867 to 1882), his son Sir Thomas de Multon Lee Braddell (Chief Judicial Commissioner of the Federated Malay States from 1913 to 1917), and his son Dato Roland St. John Braddell (Municipal Commissioner from 1914 to 1929).
… while the other gates remain locked
Posted in Buildings
Mention Holland Village, and the first things that come to people’s minds are “good food”, “expatriates”, “windmill” and “the place that had its own drama serial back in 2003”. This post will look into the lesser known aspects of this unique part of Queenstown.